Monday, October 8, 2007

Brave Adventure for an Old Lady

Books, the magic of words, the mystery of writing, the creation of thoughts on a blank page have always intrigued me. Thus the brave step to create a blog at my advanced stage in life. I know nothing about what I am doing only that ever since my niece sent me her blog and as the magic of her words captivated me, I desired to create one just to express myself. So where does one start? I guess you start where you are.

It is fall here in Lubbock, Texas although it has been so lovely that one could hardly notice it except there was a slight nip in the air at my grandson Meyson's football game at five. This is the second year he has played football. The first year he was so scared of the violence of the game and being unfamilar with the game in general, I don't think he enjoyed it much. This year has been a great success. He plays defense and is on the A team and plays most of the games. He plays for the Evans Eagles. They have won every game so far.

Meyson's dad, my son Brad is a newly wed of just two months. His wife Megan is a lovely girl who has three young children Cody age 6, Carson age 3 and Memphis age 1 1/2. The girls love to run and play with the other children at the football field, led by Brianna age 10 who is Meyson's sister. Memphis wants to explore too but that was too distracting for us so today he wore a cute harness with a monkey backpack. It was much easier to keep up with him. Left unattended he would be a tiny white headed tot in the midst of the big boys on the field.

I am excited about what this year will bring. Things are more harmonious at my home than they have been for a long long time. Brad had been a single dad for 8 years with custody of his sweet kids. We have willingly helped a lot all this time but it has been hard on all of us. I am hoping my grumpy husband will make some continued improvements in his attitude at home. It was hard on all of us not just him and someday I think it will be evident it was very worthwile for the investment in two young children's lives for the better.

To add to the stess of our busy lives, for the past two and a half years we have had a close friend's son, Isaac living with us going to school here. He is from a tiny village in Mexico where the only way to continue beyond an 8th grade education is to go away to school. His dad Oscar wanted him to learn English so he has been here with us. He decided not to come back this year. I think he might go to college here but I doubt if he lives with us again. He is 18 and thinks he is grown. We love him and miss him but it was a lot of work to cook for a couple of teenagers last year. I don't miss that or the huge grocery bill that accompanied all that.

We live in a beautiful area of town where the trees are huge and the streets are crazy. We looked at houses in several other parts of town but nowhere appeals to me like the neighborhood where we live. We have been looking at houses to inspire us to do all the things that need doing around here. I really don't want a newer house I just want this one to be like it could be if we make it like it should be. First on the list is to get rid of tons and tons of stuff so the garage can become a garage again and all the rooms in the house can be enjoyed.

1 comment:

Brad said...

I'm very excited that you are sharing you thoughts, wisdom, reflections, etc... this way. You have always been brave though we may not always recognize it.